Gelatin is vital for competition hair and can be bought from any supermarket (don’t get the vegetarian version as it DOES NOT WORK!). It comes in sachets or sheets – sachets work much better for our needs.
You will need to put your hair in a slick bun, reasonably high on the back of your head. All fringes and loose hairs must be gripped back. Follow the packet instructions to mix up the gelatin and then it can be applied. Your hair may need a couple of coats and should dry really hard. It takes a couple of shampoos to come out but makes your hair really nice and shiny afterwards. It will take practice so don’t be too worried if you don’t quite get it right first time!
Hints and Tips:
- Keep stirring the gelatin when the powder is added otherwise it will go lumpy;
- Use Dad’s shaving brush for a nice smooth application (or a pastry brush works fine too);
- Have a towel or kitchen roll handy round your neck to mop up any stray drips;
- If you have short hair, don’t be afraid to use a doughnut to get a decent sized bun;
- If you have light hair, make sure you use brand new hair grips – gelatin makes them rusty so old ones will stain your hair!